In this section, you will find resources for getting help when you need it most. For tips on preventing and preparing for mental health emergencies, please see our page on Coping with Mental Health Crises and Emergencies.
Are you in crisis or an emergency?
If you are in an emergency, or feel that you or someone else is at risk of harm, please contact someone immediately:
- Call 911 for help right away. Speak to your doctor, or go to your nearest hospital emergency room, walk-in clinic or community health centre. If your community has a mental health car, you can call 911 to request it.
- Call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433). If you are thinking about ending your life or are concerned about someone who may be, you can call for help any time of day or night, from anywhere across BC. It’s a free call.
- Call 1-888-353-CARE (1-888-353-2273). A safety net of care providing short term emotional support for concerns such as depression, anxiety, isolation, addiction, grief and loss, mental health, physical health, financial, food, shelter, sexuality and family & relationship issues.
Need someone to talk to right away?
If you are worried, confused or just need someone to talk to, there is help available:
- Kid’s Help Phone: Call 1-800-668-6868. For kids and teens (ages 20 and under), professional counsellors are available to help, 24 hours a day. It’s free, confidential and anonymous.
- Mental Health Support Line: Call 310-6789 (do not add 604, 778 or 250 before the number). This number will connect you to your local BC crisis line without a wait or busy signal, 24 hours a day. Crisis line workers are trained to help provide emotional support as well as mental health information and resources.
If you are in an emergency or crisis
- Call 911, go to the nearest emergency room or follow the emergency instructions provided by your doctor, mental health professional or care team. If your community has a mental health car, you can call 911 to request it.
- Call the Vernon Crisis Line, 24 hours a day, at 1-888-353-2273 (1-888-353-CARE) Trained volunteers provide short term emotional support, referrals, and crisis intervention to those in need…OR Call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) to get help right away, any time of day or night. It’s a free call.
- Mental Health Information and Support Line: Call 310-6789 (do not add 604, 778 or 250 before the number) 24 hours a day to connect to a BC crisis line, without a wait or busy signal. The crisis lines linked in through 310-6789 have received advanced training in mental health issues and services by members of the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information.
- Kid’s Help Phone: for children and youth aged 5 to 20. Call 1-800-668-6868 to speak to a professional counsellor, 24 hours a day. It’s free, confidential, anonymous and available across Canada. They can also refer you to local services and resources. Kid’s Help Phone is available in English and French.
In a non-emergency
- Your Local Crisis Line: crisis lines aren’t only for people in crisis. You can call for information on local services or if you just need someone to talk to. Visit www.peopleinneed.ca
- BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information: visit www.heretohelp.bc.ca for the Mental Disorder Toolkit, more fact sheets and personal stories about mental disorders. The Toolkit is full of information, including templates for creating your action plan and tips for avoiding crisis and emergencies. You can also find the “Tips For … Dealing with Alcohol or Other Drug Overdose (OD) Situations” fact sheet.
Looking for community support services?
We’re here to help in communities across BC. For mental health information and to connect with supports and resources in your community, contact your local Canadian Mental Health Association.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Vernon & District Branch
- 3100 – 28th Ave.
- Vernon, BC V1T 1W3
- Ph. (250) 542-3114
- Mental Health & Addictions Services, Vernon Health Centre
- 1440 – 14th Ave.
- Vernon, BC V1B 2T1
- Ph. (250) 549-5737
- Mental Illness Family Support Centre, People Place
- #301 – 2 – 3402 – 27th Ave.
- Vernon, BC V1T 1S1
- Ph. (250) 260-3233
- 24 Hour Crisis Line, People Place
- #103 – 3402 – 27th Ave.
- Vernon, BC
- V1T 1S1
- Emergency Phone: 1-888-353-CARE (2273)
- Peer Suport Services
- 3100 – 28th Ave.
- Vernon, BC V1T 1W3
- Ph. (250) 542-6155
- Gateway Shelter for Men & Women
- 2800 – 33rd Street
- Vernon, BC V1T 5S5
- Ph. (250) 260-2792
- Upper Room Mission
- 3404 – 27th Ave.
- Vernon, BC V1T 1S2
- Ph. (250) 549-1231