Vision & Mission
Our Vision: “Mentally healthy people in a healthy society”
As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
The Canadian Mental Health Association (Vernon & District Branch) is a voluntary association that exists to promote Mental Wellness in the community of Vernon, and surrounding areas in the North Okanagan. It is part of a provincial and national organization. We believe in enabling individuals, groups, and communities to increase control over and to enhance their mental heatlh.
We are committed to providing an environment that is free from prejudice, discrimination and harassment. We strive to reflect the entire community in our volunteers and staff, and promote equal access to the services we provide.
CMHA VERNON is committed to ensuring that our mission and operations embrace the whole community, and actively encourage the entire community to participate in and benefit fully from our services.
CMHA Vernon adheres to the Freedom or Information and Protection of Privacy Act under BC Law: www:bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/961654_0
Our Agenda for BC:
- Mental health has the same priority as all other matters in public policy and in the allocation of resources
- There is no longer any discrimination and societal stigma attached to any form of mental health problem or illness or to those who live with a mental illness
- CMHA’s Framework for Support is the accepted guiding model in the formulation of public policy and the provision of care
- Communities encourage and support the creation of environments where nurturing of healthy minds and attitudes is an accepted, ongoing priority
- Support and assistance is provided in an appropriate, dignified and timely manner to all those who are experiencing mental illness
- Families and caregivers receive effective support in their important role in the provision of assistance
The Framework for Support
The Framework is the central philosophy guiding the activities of CMHA. This philosophy holds that the person experiencing mental illness is at the centre of any supportive mental health system.
The Community Resource Base outlines a range of possible resources in addition to the formal mental health system which can provide support to a person with mental illness. Housing, income, work and education represent four basic elements of citizenship.
The ultimate goal of the Framework is to ensure that people with serious mental health problems live fulfilling lives in the community. The Framework for Support is referred to as the most comprehensive model for mental health planning by federal and provincial governments as well as by the Centre for Community Change in the US, and the Government of Ireland.
Our Vision: Mentally Healthy People in a Healthy Society
Founded in 1918, the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) is a national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness.
In BC, mental health, substance use and addictive behaviour are within the scope of the organization.
Through our family of over 100 local, provincial and national locations across Canada, CMHA provides a wide range of innovative services and supports tailored to and in partnership with our communities. Mental health begins where you live, learn, work and play. Together, we are making a difference.